There used to be movie theaters there, vaudeville houses, dance halls, high-class apartment buildings. Now it was run-down tenements and vacant lots. We stood on the El platform and he saw the vacant lots, I saw the short cuts. Kids will always make the shortest distance between two points. And adults will follow. But sometimes the shortest distance between two points was not a straight line. It's down the back porch, skipping the falling-in steps, up the tree and over into old Manny's backyard, through the window of the garage – you pause, there, to take in its dank and oily stench, its glints of light on tools, its brooding grownup mysteries – then shooting out the door across the alley and scooching under the chainlink fence to wriggle through the child-sized-and-no-bigger space between Miz Nell's and the old dentist man's house – quiet so the dogs don't bring Miz Nell or her equally ancient daughter Charis running with a broom.
Saturday, August 20, 2005
Previous Posts
- So much for writing every day. Here's hoping there...
- I had something to write earlier today, really I d...
- A girl is shuffling transit passes with small, con...
- I could write another beginning. I could just keep...
- The cat was, physically, cat-sized. But in my mind...
- Don't forget to include the aggressively mumbling ...
- There is a discussion between "Bernard" and "Malco...
- Down the street the vacant lots were going back to...
- The bus moved up into the intersection as crowds t...
- A cat who has lived long indoors leaves the house;...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home